Re: Role of Internet in Indian Context: How IT can help our Public Policy?
This is very good question, and should be discussed further..
The role of IT in india, is not just related to software development or software/BPO companies..
IT can empower the whole india by providing instant and efficient medium of communication..
Last year, i heard that Gujaraj Government had laid out fibre optic cables through out the state, thus connecting each and every village. As per Modi's vision, the internet speed available in washington would be available in any of the villages in gujarat..
When i visualise the potential of such strong connectivity to villages, i could find the following scenarios..
1. small and medium IT companies can setup their office in even small towns and villages.. 2. IT professionals need not go to only big cities for their work.. now they can work even from their home village.. this will release the stress on big cities, and infact divest the economy evenly to the entire nation.
3. Agriculture will get a boost, as they will have demand locally..
4. Indian IT services will be much cheaper, as operating cost reduces greatly.
5. The whole of india/gujarat will be interconnected, thus communication of people with one another will be enhanced.
6. Internet based commerce will get a boost, as datacenters, websites would be setup indigenously within india.. people will be able to develop ecommerce website catering to the local market and also for international market.
7. In education, the qualified teacher from any part of country (say chennai/mumbai) can teach to students in remote part..
8. And finally e-government can be effectively implemented through this IT infrastructure.
And many more benefits would unleash based on IT..