Tornado in Rajkanika Block of Kendrapara district - 50 dead, 1000 families homeless and more than 200 injured,
Tornado in Rajkanika Block of Kendrapara district
- 50 dead, 1000 families homeless and more than 200 injured
Tornado hit Rajkanika Block in around 4 pm and has created havoc in 11 villages of 4 Gram Panchayats. The cyclonic storm centred around for one and half hour along with hailstone left 50 people dead (as reported till 9 pm) and more than 200 injured. As electric poles have been uprooted, poeple and rescure time are facing difficulty to take out the dead bodies from the debris on the onset of night. Casualty may go high. Picture will be clear after the clearance of all debris in the morning. With the help of local people the injured people have been shifted to Rajkanika CHC & Aul PHC and seriously injured people to District Hospital Kendrapara and SCB Medical College, Cuttack. As most people live in kutcha houses, nearly about 1000 houses have been completely destroyed forcing the villagers to stand in open sky. Collector, Sub-collector, people's representatives are visiting the spot for monitoring and supervising the rescue operation. It has not been easy to assess the damage and casualty in each village as commucation has been disrupted due to falling of trees on roads. Local people, volunteers from neighbouring villages are engaged to clear the road for communication. The most affected villages are Maneidiha, Mangalpur in Bharigada GP, Ganja village, Ashok Bazar in Jagualipada GP, Sebasahi, Baghabuda, Govindpur and Mallisahara in Kantapada GP, Dalikaenda village of Dalikaenda GP.
The severely affected families, who have lost their houses and their household items, are yet to get any support from Govt. or anyother agency. The report says that particularly the women, children and others having no clothes and food to eat. Some dry foods have been arranged and distributed by the volunteers from neighbouring villages. Since there is no cyclone centre in the Gram Panchayat some of the families are sheltered in school verendah. No food items have been supplied by the local administration.
To add salt to their injuries, the high yielding kahrif paddy crop has been completely destroyed due to hailstone. Most of the people of Rajkanika heavily depend on this crop because every year the rabi crop is destroyed due to regular flood.
Considering the grave situation and damage caused due to storm, the situation demands immediate relief and rescue operation followed by proper rehabilitation of the affected families. Agencies working on emergency situation should rise to the occassion and lend a support hand to curb miseries of the affected people.
-- Ranjan Rout PRIA-Orissa Plot No. - 693, Nayapalli Near Kalinga Stadium, Bhubaneswar - 751012, Orissa, India,
Did you know?
1. To post at more than thirty blog websites of Jharkhand Forum and its email list you do not need to sign-up. (ex - http://blog.jharkhandi.org )
2. To post your contents (messages, articles, write-up, discussions reply and video link) at Jharkhand Forum's websites and email list simply send it to Jharkhand@yahoogroups.com
3. You can use any email address(s) to send your contents to Jharkhand@yahoogroups.com. Also, you can hide your email address by request and we will replace your display email address with email@example.com
4. Jharkhand Group of websites is 100 percent advert-free and open access for everyone in all parts of world.
7. If your email is bouncing from Jharkhand@yahoogroups.com then it means that your email address is already banned by moderators. So, if you try to using a new email address to send your contents then it won't be bounced.
8. If you'd like to share your documentary or video clips on Jharkhand Forum's Video Blog (http://documentary.jharkhand.us) then upload your video on youtube.com and send the link (s) at Jharkhand@yahoogroups.com
9. Jharkhand Forum's Websites, Email List and Video Blog publish English language contents only.
10. Any material / contents once posted at Jharkhand Forum's websites and email list will not be deleted ever.
11. Jharkhand Group of websites is maintained by unpaid volunteers based at various cities of India, Europe & United States.