| Invitation for International Workshop on Micronutrients and Child Health , at AIIMS, New Delhi , 20th - 23rd October, 2009
The four micronutrients (MNs) which are presently of great pubic health significance are Iron, Iodine, Vitamin A and Zinc. The deficiencies of these MNs are severe and widespread in developing countries including India . Iron deficiency in the age group of 6-24 months, is impairing the mental development of approximately 40% to 60% of the children. Iodine deficiency is estimated to have lowered the intellectual capacity of children in developing nations by as much as 10 to 15 percentage points. Vitamin A deficiency is compromising the immune systems of approximately 40% of the under five children in developing countries. The zinc deficiency is causing growth retardation, abnormal immune functions, impaired cognitive functions, increased maternal morbidity & mortality and prolonged gestation.
A large pool of scientific evidence is being generated globally on issues related to Role of Micronutrients in reduction of morbidity and mortality and Promoting Child Health. There are many important issues like Interaction Between Micronutrients Supplementations when given simultaneously; Prevention of IDD amongst Pregnant Mothers; Iron Supplementation in Malaria Endemic Area; Micronutrient Supplementation for Prevention of Diarrhoea and Respiratory Infections; Micronutrient Fortification of Foods-Rationale, Application and Impact; Micronutrient Fortification of Complementary Foods; Iron Supplementation in Early Childhood: Health Benefits and Risks; Effect of Iron Supplementation on Mental and Motor Development in Children; Neonatal Vitamin A Supplementation and Infant Survival in Asia; and Vitamin A Supplementation of Women Postpartum etc.
An International Workshop is being organized to update the participants about the recent advances in the field of MNs and Child Health. We will have detailed presentations and discussions on Magnitude of the Iron, Iodine, Vitamin A and Zinc deficiencies; their Health Consequences, Methodology of Assessments, Strategies for Prevention & Control; Micronutrients Supplementation to improve child morbidity & mortality and related issues.
The workshop will be held for four days. One day will be dedicated to each of the four micronutrients i.e. i) Iron, ii) Iodine, iii) Vitamin A and iv) Zinc.
The eminent National and International scientists who are working in the field of Micronutrients and Child Health will be delivering "State of Art " presentations. After each presentation, in-depth deliberations will be held, to discuss the issues raised by the eminent scientists and participants.
On behalf of the Organizing Committee, I invite you to participate in the International Workshop on Micronutrients and Child Health.
For detailed information please visit our Web site www.mchws2009.com
1. Who should Participate
· Faculty Members, Scientists, Post Graduates from the Departments of Pediatrics, Medicine, Preventive and Social Medicine, Biochemistry, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, from the Medical Colleges
· Faculty Members, Scientists, Post Graduate Students of Home Science and Agricultural Colleges
· Research Scientists from National and State Level Health and Nutrition, Training Institutions
· National and State Level : Health and Nutrition Planners, Administrators and Policy Makers
· Programme Managers of National Rural Health Mission at National, State and Regional Level
· Faculty Members from National, State and Regional Level Health & Family Welfare Training Centres
· Programme Managers from Voluntary Organizations working in the field of Nutrition and Maternal and Child Health
· Programme Mangers of the National Nutrition Programmes at the National, State and Regional Level
· Nutritionists and Dieticians from Government and Private Hospitals
· Scientists, Nutritionists, from International, Bilateral Organizations
· Managers and Administrators of Food Industries
2. Venue of the Workshop
Jawaharlal Nehru Auditorium,
All India Institute of Medical Sciences
Ansari Nagar, New Delhi- 110 029, India
Looking forward to meeting you
With personal regards,
Dr. Umesh Kapil
Professor , Public Health Nutrition
All India Institute of Medical Sciences ,
New Delhi, 110029, India
Mobile : 91 - 9810609340
Note: To post your messages, articles, write-up, issues for public discussions and documentary video at Jharkhand Forum websites, simply send it to Jharkhand@yahoogroups.com. No sign-up required.
Jharkhand Forum broadcast your postings on thirty websites like -
http://forum.jharkhand.us | http://forum.jharkhand.org.uk | http://forum.jharkhand.org.in
Posting Policy - http://forum.jharkhand.org.in/2009/06/posting-policy-of-jharkhand-forum.html
Some Useful Links -:
01. Jobs Post -> http://jobs.jharkhand.org.in | 02. CV / Resume / Bio-data -> http://resume.jharkhandi.com | 03. Marriage -> http://shaadi.jharkhandi.com | 04. Love Story -> http://love.jharkhandi.com | 05. Join Social Network -> http://network.jharkhandi.com | 06. Watch Short Film / Documentary -> http://documentary.jharkhand.us | 07. Post Petition -> http://petition.jharkhand.org.in | 08. Districts' Website -> http://jharkhandi.com/district.aspx | 09. Funding Appeal -> http://funding.jharkhand.us | 10. The Naxal -> http://naxal.jharkhand.org.uk | 11. Adivasi Alert -> http://adivasi.jharkhand.org.uk | 12. Mines Blog -> http://mines.jharkhand.org.in | 13. Get a FREE Email A/c -> http://jharkhandi.com/email.aspx
Apply online at http://jharkhandi.com/representative.aspx to be representative of The Global Organization of Jharkhandi People (www.jharkhandi.org)